Sent to the AFS-Update mailing list on Oct. 21, 2021
With students back on campus and the fall quarter now in full swing, the Accounts Payable team would like to remind all campus business offices of the following policies and guidelines.
Virtual Meeting Meals not Reimbursable
The UC Office of the President recently issued a reminder that all business meetings require an in-person host and are intended for on-premises and/or in-person meetings of employees according to UC Policy BFB-BUS-79, which governs the reimbursement of meal and entertainment expenses. Meals delivered or taken during a virtual or teleconference meeting (e.g., Zoom) are not reimbursable because the meeting does not meet this definition.
More UC BUS-79 Policy Reminders:
- The policy requires a signed Host Certification Form (generated in the KFS Entertainment Reimbursement e-doc, Forms & Reports tab) for recruitment, employee morale building activities, and entertainment & prospective donor meetings.
- For business meetings, an agenda is required documentation and must be included in your scanned documents.
- An employee acting as the official host conducting bona fide University business with an invited guest may be reimbursed for guest and employee meeting meals/light refreshments expenses. Individual employee meals will not be approved.
Chancellor's Executive Directive on Travel Still in Effect
The Chancellor's directive issued in April strongly recommends that non-essential travel be postponed. UCI guidance may change if health conditions change. Read the Chancellor's directive and please direct any questions to email@example.com.
UC G-28 Travel Policy Reminder:
- When preparing a reimbursement for non-employee travel, don't forget to include a signed Non-Employee Certification Form. This form can be printed from the Travel Reimbursement e-doc (Forms & Reports tab) and is required by UC Policy G-28 Travel Regulations. Internal departmental expense claim forms are not an acceptable alternative for obtaining the traveler’s signature.
Support Campus Cost Efficiency Measures & Generate Savings
Don't forget to book all car rentals for UC business in Connexxus to ensure the traveler receives the UC negotiated discounted rate, which includes physical damage insurance. Travelers may book up to an intermediate size car. Click on the tiles for Enterprise/National or Hertz in Connexxus and there is no booking fee. Travelers may also book online with the Connexxus travel agencies – UC Travel Center or BCD Travel. Travelers earn car rental credit/points and receive a free vehicle upgrade when available.
More Tips for Booking Travel:
- Book Southwest Airlines in Connexxus by clicking on the SWABIZ tile. Airfare discounts apply when available and travelers earn 50% more Rapid Reward points! No booking fees apply when booking via SWABIZ. Note that our Company ID is #99723724.
- Sign up and use the UC Corporate Travel Card, an individualized charge card used primarily for UCI travel and business meeting expenses.
- Departments may also apply for a CTS Card, which allows economy airfare, hotel room and tax, and associated agency fees to be purchased in advance of a University business related trip. The CTS cardholder may book air and hotel on behalf of employees, students and visitors. Refunds and credits are issued back to the department CTS card and remain in possession of the department.
Travel Policy Training Guide and Corporate Travel Card Overview
The Travel Accounting team offers training online via the UC Learning Center. Employees can sign up for The Travel Policy Training Guide class, which provides a review of important travel, entertainment & disbursement voucher (DV) policies and best practices. We also offer a course on the UCI Corporate Travel Card program. Search for the courses on UCLC using the keywords “travel policy workshop" or "corporate travel card."
Policy Questions? Contact Travel Accounting at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website for information about travel, entertainment, moves and relocations, and related UC policies: https://www.accounting.uci.edu/travel/.
Learn more About Honoraria
Have questions about honorariums? Visit the newly updated Honoraria page on the UCI Official University Policies & Procedures website. The page explains what an honorarium is and who can receive one. There is also important information about the approval process and how to submit for the payment of an honorarium.
Onboarding Required for Direct Vendor Payment
Don't forget that all vendors must be onboarded in KFS to receive payment. Additionally, the vendor invoice remit address must match the address field in your Travel Reimbursement, Entertainment Reimbursement or Disbursement Voucher e-documents. See the Vendor Onboarding User Guide for more information, and if you still have questions, please contact the campus vendor coordinator at email@example.com.
Reminders for Purchase Orders
Please keep in mind the following to ensure the timely payment of invoices:
- Check your POs regularly to ensure all POs are fully funded to allow payment of current and future invoices
- Expired POs will need to be extended to allow invoice payments.
Replacing POs: If you are replacing an old Purchase Order, please send a copy of the new PO to the vendor and Accounts Payable so the vendor can include the “new PO” on future invoices. AP needs the new PO number to ensure invoices are paid correctly. Doing this will prevent delays in payment.