House Hunting

Traveling to the new place of work to seek housing may be reimbursed in accordance with UC policy.

Managers & Senior Professionals (MSP) and Professional & Support Staff (PSS) personnel:

House hunting expenses will require written exceptional approval.

Once an offer of employment has been accepted, house hunting travel expenses incurred by the prospective employee and their spouse or domestic partner are considered taxable.

The university may reimburse actual and reasonable expenses associated with looking for new living accommodations for the appointee and their spouse or domestic partner for:

  • Cost of airfare, coach/economy class only. Optional air upgrades or higher cost services not allowed.
  • Car rental, up to mid-size or intermediate size car only. Department to book car rental in ConnexUC for cost savings and UC discounted rates.
  • Parking fees, fuel/gasoline, tolls.
  • Meals - actual out of pocket expenses, up to $79 per person, per day. This is not a per diem.
  • Lodging - up to $333 per night (before taxes and fees).

Senior Management Group (SMG):

Please refer to the Regents Policy 7710 for additional information.

Important note: Effective January 1, 2018, all payments for moving and relocation expenses, whether paid as a reimbursement or directly to a third-party (for example: a moving company) will be processed through the Payroll Office as reportable additional taxable income.